Chick Story




Chick Story

The baby chicks hatched, LORD...finally! You brought them out of their little shells, and they nestled under their mother's wings. I immediately thought of this verse:

"He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust." (Ps. 91:4a)

The mother hen takes them all over the yard, and they "scratch, scratch" as they go...trying to learn...doing just as she does. (I want to follow You like that...doing what You do!) Yes, You lead her to the bugs, and she teaches the little ones how to find them. I thoroughly enjoy watching them from my bedroom window, and sometimes I even notice a chick or two crawl up onto her back and accidentally slide off.:)

One morning it was windy and chilly, and I noticed "Mischievous", the mother hen, ...scratch...scratching." For 5 or 10 minutes she kept scratching as the little chicks stood quietly nearby. Then she nestled down in the little dirty spot she had cleared away, and all the little ones ran and hid under her feathers!

"How excellent is THY lovingkindness, O God: therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of THY WINGS." (Ps. 36:7)

My little ones really enjoy playing with "Mischievous" and her chicks, but when they pick them up and take them away from the "mama", she goes "crazy", with a "cluck-cluck here, and a cluck-cluck there...here cluck, there cluck, everywhere a cluck-cluck", and the babies "peep-peep" like mad! I FEEL the "mama's" frustration. I feel it very strongly! LORD, please take care of all my little "chicks" and keep them safe from the devil's darts!

One of the children's diary pages tell the "new chick story" well:

"We have names for the (chicks)..."Cutiepie" and "Sweetiepie" are the yellow ones. The dark ones are "Boss" and "Boss the Second". The other one that
is in between, we call "Mama's Boy". He cries the most and always stays with his mom...

Our chickies are so cute now. They are loosing their down and are getting feathers. Today "Cutiepie" got a big bug. She swallowed it whole. It was cute. (My brother) said that the other day Boss got a big cricket and did the same thing. They are growing like crazy."

LORD, this mother hen and her chicks are like magnets to one another! A couple times the children took Mischievous" a distance away, and they held all the baby chicks. Then they let all the chicks go for a "chicken race, and I enjoyed watching them! Mother hen ran towards her chicks, and the babies all ran straight to her as fast as they could go! "Boss" won!

LORD,

"Hide me under the shadow of THY WINGS. (Ps. 17:8b)

I want to be just like "Boss"..scrambling like mad to get to YOU...just like a MAGNET! Bind my heart to THEE!

"Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of they wings will I REJOICE." (Ps. 63:7)

Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me; For my soul trusteth in Thee: Yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast." (Ps. 57:1)

No comments: